Friday, September 22, 2006

So I'm driving home...

After a long day at work and a few beers.
I'm tired.
I just want to get home to a hot shower and a cold night-cap.

So I drive extremely carefully.

What if I had left five minutes before?
Five minutes later?

What if my windshield was a little cleaner?
What if that car, wasn't in the other lane beside me, pinning me against the median?

In a very few seconds...My options were gone...

A 6 month old black pup is difficult to see at night...
But, I saw it.

Even looked into his eyes.
Time seemed to slow down...
Watched his tail wagging.
Heard him yelp as the front end of my truck broke his neck.

I did not set out to kill anything today.
But I did.
And there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it.

In those very few seconds I decided not to wreck my truck and my life for that dog.

And created another ghost I will carry with me the rest of my life...

No comments: