Monday, October 10, 2005

well said and amen...

(I don't want this god)
by tcremer

Late last night as I was scanning my nightly news via the current buzz technology, RSS feeds*, I rolled my eyes twice after the headline George Bush: 'God told me to end the tyranny in Iraq' scrolled into my newsreader.

Yups, apparently Dubya is on a mission from God to tidy up in the Middle East according to The Guardian Unlimited.
But I somehow doubt that his mission will bring joy to millions as did original mission from God.

He ain't no Elwood and he certainly ain't no Jake.

One of the delegates, Nabil Shaath, who was Palestinian foreign minister at the time, said: "President Bush said to all of us: 'I am driven with a mission from God'. God would tell me, 'George go and fight these terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did. And then God would tell me 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did."

Oh so easy to pick fights but oh so much harder to bring about real change, real hope for the future. How much hope, Mr. President, do the people of Afghanistan and Iraq have?

Mr Bush went on: "And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East'. And, by God, I'm gonna do it."

Christ, how many times is God going to charge Dubya's gonads with a call to arms? Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, North Korea -- how many countries is he going to bring peace to on a direct order from his born again cult?

There's something to be said for having too many irons in the fire and Bush has every one of his pokers red hot.

No comments: